This object monitors firewall inbound rules for File and Printer Sharing and generates an alert if either the rules are disabled or the corresponding TCP ports 445 and 139 are blocked.
This monitor can enter a Critical health state for the following reasons:
The Windows Firewall is not running.
Firewall rules for File and Printer Sharing targeting TCP port 445 or 139 are disabled.
If the health state is unknown, it means that monitoring has not yet begun for this object.
Determine if Windows Firewall is enabled
To determine if Windows Firewall is enabled, use the following procedure:
1. At an elevated command prompt on the affected server, type: sc query mpssvc and press ENTER.
2. If the firewall is not running, type the following command: net start mpssvc.
Determine if port firewall rules are enabled
To determine if the firewall rules for the ports are enabled, use the following procedure:
1. Open the Control Panel on the affected server, click System and Security, and then click Windows Firewall.
2. In the left pane, click Advanced Settings and then click Inbound Rules.
3. Check whether the following rules are enabled and the Action is Allow:
File and Printer Sharing (NB-Session-In)
File and Printer Sharing (SMB-In)
4. If the firewall rules are not enabled, click the rule, and on the Action menu, click Enable Rule.
This monitor automatically resets to a Healthy state after you resolve the issue.